Hyperthyroidism has become the most common endocrine disorder of middle-aged to older cats. Chronic kidney disease is also common in the same population of cats. It can be challenging to identify which hyperthyroid cats may have concurrent kidney disease and to determine best treatment strategies for cats with one or both problems.
- Understand clinical signs and diagnosis of hyperthyroidism as well as available diagnostic tests, including new test options.
- Review treatment for control versus cure and prognosis.
- Discuss new diagnostic testing that could help with identification of chronic kidney disease in hyperthyroid cats.
- Understand strategies to improve outcome when faced with both problems in one cat.
- Discuss the role of thyroid scintigraphy as a diagnostic tool.
- Review updated information comparing different protocols for radioiodine therapy of hyperthyroidism.