Dr. Beth Schooley discusses the anatomy and function of the liver in the context of working up cases of liver disease. Discussion will focus on the different tests available for evaluation of liver injury and swelling versus liver dysfunction. Bile acids will be discussed in detail, as will considerations for when to use bile acids testing and next steps to take based on the result of a bile acids test.
- Describe liver anatomy and function.
- Recognize markers of liver disease.
- Understand liver function tests.
- Understand bile acids and indications for performing bile acid testing.
- Understand bile acids testing options.
- Discuss a case illustrating the use of bile acids.